Image submission process
The image selection is a long and ongoing process for every volume. Image submission is open for every species listed here, regardless of which volume the species will appear. Participating photographers register via this secure Google Form. Contributing photographer selects the set of potential images of the best quality from his/her portfolio and uploads them to the dedicated shared Dropbox folder created by the editor.
Image file specifications
Every species account contains 5-15 photos, illustrating the life history, characteristics, habitat selection or behaviour of the given species.
Buying 1,600-2,500 images is beyond the budget of this privately funded project. For this reason, special payment methods are offered for the contributing photographers for the first volume only (about 300-500 photos).
Supporting the volume 1 with free of charge photo(s).
Selected high resolution image is provided by the photographer for the given volume at no upfront cost. $45/published image to be paid after sales of the Volume 1 starts. Payment have to be made within 8 months from actual publishing date.
$10 upfront cost is paid for each selected high resolution image. An additional $25 to be paid after sales of the Volume 1 starts. Full payment have to be made within 8 months from actual publishing date.
Registration for contributors: http://goo.gl/forms/IsNIyZDgNv
The images posted here are samples of the styles and quality what we aim to publish. All photos are legally embedded from its original source, the 500px.com.
Terms and Conditions
- Photos submitted to the Editor’s Dropbox folder won’t be used for any purposes other than building up the image portfolio for the handbook.
- The Editors keep the right to create non-shared working folders with restricted access (species based) and copy pre-selected photos to relevant folders.
- Editors might ask higher resolution samples after a photo was pre-selected for more critical decisions for final image selection.
- Contributing photographers keep the right to update their own folder/portfolio any time with either deleting old images or adding new ones.
- If a photo is pre-selected and copied to the relevant species folder but in the meantime the photographer deleted it from his or her folder, the Editor still can request that photo for publishing.
- Photographers won’t get feedback of each photo pre-selected for making our final decision. However, the contributing photographer will be notified in general if any of his or her photo is pre-selected.
- After final decision made Editor will contact the photographer for preparing the contract according to the registration details.
- Only the registered and actually contributing photographers can participate (to be offered by the Editorial Team) future photographic expeditions (funded by the project) for covering missing imagery of different species, plumage variations and habitats. Payment conditions for expedition photos will be discussed individually.
This document was last updated on 19 November 2016.
All rights reserved © Gyorgy Szimuly